I am now *open* for review requests. Check out my Review Policy Page for more info

Friday, March 21, 2014

Review: Knowing Jack by Rachel Curtis


Title: Knowing Jack
Author: Rachel Curtis
Publisher: Self-publish
Pages: 216 (ebook)
Source: Netgalley
Where to Buy: Barnes and Noble | Amazon

Synopsis:
I am not a slut, although I've been called one often enough. Yeah, I spent three months screwing one of my college professors, but I was crazy about the guy. Then he broke up with me.

I am not a bitch, although people like to say I am. I kept our relationship secret. I'm not responsible for telling the university administrators about it, but a lot of students still blame me for getting their favorite professor fired.

I'm not a drama queen, although everyone thinks I am now. When I got a few nasty messages, I just deleted them. When I got the threat, I assumed it was someone being stupid. I still think that's all it was. My parents worry, though, so they hired me a bodyguard. Now Jack follows me around, intimidating everyone who approaches me and looking obnoxiously hot.

This is what I am. I'm Chloe. I'm a twenty-year-old art history major. Kind of shy, although I pretend not to be. Stubborn enough to stay here for my senior year, even though everyone hates me.

And I'm stuck with Jack.

He calls me "Princess," but I'm not a princess either.


What I Thought:
Okay, this was a fun story. I wasn't sure what to expect from the writing, since that summary rambled too long, but it was a lot better than I expected. It took me a little while to get into the story (sometime in chapter one I put the book down for about a week before picking it back up and devouring the rest).

The main character, Chloe annoyed me at times. She hates what she is going through at her school for sleeping with her professor (ranging from snide marks from one of her professors to a Tumblr account dedicated to ruining her life), but when given several opportunities to get out of her situation she doesn't take them. I'm not talking just transferring to a new school and losing credits like a normal person would have to do, I'm talking internship at the Louvre for enough credits to graduate. This was kind of okay with me though, because I wasn't the only one who though she was an idiot, her love interest/bodyguard, Jack, thinks so too.

Speaking of Jack, the chemistry between the two of them is HOT. He is risking a lot, personally and professionally, by taking a chance on acting on his feelings. You can tell he cares about her. The one complaint I have about him is I'm not a trained bodyguard and as soon as the antagonist of the book came on the scene I already knew who they were and why they did it. Why couldn't Jack figure this out? Maybe his lust was blocking his skills.

The story ended on a bit of a cliffhanger, though the plot of this story was wrapped up very nicely. I really look forward to reading the sequel and other works from Rachel Curtis.

Overall: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment